Monday, January 18, 2010

Three Stooges Clip


When posting a Three Stooges clip the other day, I looked them up on Wikipedia. I know it's not always an accurate site but you can find some interesting information on there.

At first glance, the stooges might seem like a harmless comedy act. I'm not too big on slapstick comedy but those guys were brilliant. It's hard to believe something that was made so long ago can still be looked at as funny today.

According to a published report, Moe, Larry, and director Jules White considered their best film to be You Nazty Spy! In this short film, Moe satirized Adolf Hitler at a time when the US was still neutral towards the Germans. Hitler was so outraged by this that he immediately placed the stooges on his so called "death list".

When Joe Besser replaced Shemp in 1956, he had a clause in his contract specifically prohibiting him from being slapped too hard. He noted how he felt Larry's face had become "calloused" from constantly being struck by Moe.

I like some of the clever lines that went along with the unprovoked violence. Here is a clip I came across today of Curly dancing. Listen to how old the music is. Curly accidentily rips off Moe's partner's dress. She is unaware of this and asks him if he feels a draft. He says, "Draft? No. I was exempted." Curly's partner tells him he is a very unusual dancer. He says, "I come from a long family of dancers. My father died dancing. On the end of a rope."


No comments:

Post a Comment