Monday, November 28, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day







I was talking to my good friend Leroy Weinstein today. He said he was at the end of the bar at Doc Sullivans the other night and overheard a conversation involving some good friends of mine. He says PJ McParlane was out with some city workers having a few beers. Something different I see.

One of the guys was a big loudmouth, according to Leroy. Friend: You're in a bar with twenty other men. You don't have to yell across the bar. Your intended listener will hear you. It's not going to make you sound smarter or tougher. Trust me.

I would love to respond to this person, but I honestly have no idea who he is. (Rez or Roz?). I'm flattered that you're in a bar (filled with twenty other guys) and my blog is a topic for your conversation. Some people get fat from drinking and mistake their flab for toughness. They get a couple of beers in them and all of a sudden, their sports statistics increase. If you were a backup point guard in high school, please don't talk about how you scored 1,000 points. And how you would have played at Syracuse if it wasn't for your "bad knee". I have to tell you. When this type of person walks around like they are carrying two suitcases, other people (including their own friends) make fun of them behind their back. I'm not saying you're this type of person, as I don't know you. But, feel free to comment underneath this post with your name (so I can figure out if I even do know you.)

As I've said many times, you can say anything you want about me. You really don't know squat about me, anyway. Nothing bothers me. "Un-embarrassable."I'll be the first to tell you I'm not perfect, but I answer only to myself. I've made some mistakes in life, but I can tell you nobody owes me anything. We're all accountable for our own actions. To me, Thanksgiving is just another day. I wake up everyday thankful for the friends and family that have been good to me. When I die, I could care less what anyone says about me.

Expand your horizons, gents. No need to be so insecure. It is ok to change your playbook once in awhile. There's more to life than talking about pensions at Doc Sullivans or Hoppers. And nobody cares what number you are on a civil service list. Congratulations on Danny Gare saying hello to you in 1983 when you were filling in for the Zamboni driver or skating on the ice at the Aud with your shovel. We're all very impressed and you know what you can do with that shovel.

If you're going to talk racist at a bar, that's your prerogative. But when your neighbors see you fawning all over Mayor Three Dollar Bill at public events, it makes you look like a hypocrite and a racist. So, please feel free to sign your name and let me know where I know you from. I love all the comments I get from anonymous tough guys who are so tough they "forget" to sign their names. Just remember, one of us puts their name attached to everything they say. What are you afraid of? And thanks for reading the blog. It and I are not perfect, but I'll do my best to continue educating you the best that I can. For your penance, go to a bar next week that actually allows women through the front door.


Sit down, take a look at yourself
Don't you want to be somebody?
Someday somebody's gonna see inside
You have to face up, you can't run and hide...



Share|

13 comments:

  1. Mr. Blake,We have discussed at bar about the monopoly you have with soccer in South Buffalo and an investigation is under way so you better have your books in order,word is you are paying yourself a hefty salary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dont let them bother you,i put my opinions out to anyone that reads the Buffalo news.Backstabbing hacks and drunks at South Buffalo bars dont bother me at all. Im just shocked that any of them can read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I challenged you to sign your name. You didn't. That makes you little more than a coward. I haven't run the SBSC since 2001 you ignorant fool. I'm simply a coordinator for the club. And they do a great job at keeping records.

    Monopoly? I was asked to take over the Tosh Collins league after it dwindled down to 4 teams under Lou Petrucci's "leadership." Three years later, it has 18 teams. We charge considerably less than any suburban club with much better results. You're free to run leagues and compete against us. If you do a better job, people would leave us and go to you. Why don't you do it? There's nothing stopping you besides your lack of knowledge and ability in the game.

    "Hefty salary" might be the funniest thing I've heard in awhile. That would explain why I drive a 1999 car and live in a less affluent part of town. I've done the best I could for the last 21 years under some pretty difficult circumstances. Please do me a favor. Follow through on your threat. Because I'd love to have an excuse to inform everyone what Brian Higgins does in his free time in Washington and what Tim Kennedy has been doing after hours in Albany.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A two beer drunk from Doc's with the wrong information , "NO WAY".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both my kids love playing at Tosh, you do a great job. If an investigation is to be conducted, it should be to determine what type of dead animal Brian Higgins is putting on his head.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Both my kids love playing at Tosh, you do a great job. If an investigation is to be conducted, it should be to determine what type of dead animal Brian Higgins is putting on his head."

    I really do appreciate your comment. The political people of S Bflo will stop at nothing to hurt me because they don't like their corruption being exposed. Like anyone else, I have flaws. However, I've had many high paying offers to coach in the suburbs but it was my intention from the start to coach city kids in S Bflo. And I'm proud of how far they've come , especially in the last few years. Our girls program is one of the best in WNY and getting better each year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike,
    Seems like you don't like certain people living in South Buffalo. Whats the matter you did'nt get taken care of?

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Mike,
    Seems like you don't like certain people living in South Buffalo. Whats the matter you did'nt get taken care of?"

    I went back to school after running youth sports programs in the city for two decades. I spent $50,000 in student loans. When I finished, I watched politically connected kids I coached 15 years ago get jobs in physical education and recreation. I couldn't even get an interview. That's ok. I know how the game is played and I'm not owed anything by anyone.

    I'm clearly an outsider to the political establishment but that doesn't mean I don't have the right to be involved. I do and I will. I know exactly how these people operate and have a pretty big audience consisting of people I've met over the last 21 years. When I ran for Common Council in 2001, the political hacks liked to tell people I was dumb. Perhaps this blog is a forum for them to debate me and show me how smart they are. So far, I'm not impressed. I love to compete, have no problem being an outsider, and enjoy communicating with non-political people interested in the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And instead of confronting me directly, the political "leaders" call friends of mine and ask them to make me stop, as if they have some type of influence over me. Nice try. Won't work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mike,my advice to you would be to get a fresh start and take one of the jobs you mentioned in the suburbs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry. not interested in coaching in the suburbs. my intention from the start was to promote soccer in the city (1991).

    enrollment/results in the two projects i'm currently running (Tosh Collins leagues/girls Travel program are at an all time high. can't even remember the last complaint we've gotten from anyone. 300 people/day read the famous blog. probably more people/week than S Bflo News.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mike u do a great job. The most important thing is the kids. U also keep prices cheap so families can afford it. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you. the s bflo kids have embraced the game since day 1. as have 99% of the parents. the only ones starting trouble are the politically connected hacks. they're upset with me because i point out their lack of integrity.

    ReplyDelete