Wednesday, July 18, 2012

5 questions with Mickey Kearns


The Buffalo News sat down this week with 1st year NY state Assemblyman Mickey Kearns....


As a New York state lawmaker, what will your main priority be?


Well, I'll tell. That's a very good question. I think more studies are needed to move this area out of the economic recession we've been in. More studies to try and get young families to relocate here.


What would you say your greatest accomplishment was on the Buffalo Common Council?


Wow! Where are you getting these questions? We did some terrific studies on the emerging waterfront, removing the Skyway, as well as our new state of the art athletic complex. Some unbelievable taxpayer funded studies!


What do you make of the success of the inner harbor and the waterfront concert series?


We did a study that determined people would not flock to the harbor on Thursday nights. I mean, on a 90 degree afternoon, who in their right mind, would want to be near the water? Therefore, I think they should cancel the concerts. Have they conducted environmental studies on all the noise from the concerts? Have they tested the soil for contamination? Traffic pattern studies? That's a lot of people using the roads at one time. I know the people love coming downtown and spending their money, but I think everything should be postponed until more research takes place.


Bills or Sabres?


I've always liked football, but hockey is an up and coming sport. Before I answer that, I'd like to look at the data and public opinion polls. Has anyone done a study on who is the more popular team? If Carl Paladino likes the Bills, I guess I have to support them. However, more studies needed to take place before I can commit to either team.


Will you vote yes or no on the proposed raises for yourself and fellow NY lawmakers after the November election?


I can't answer that right now. I think we need to do a cost/benefit study on the feasibility of the raises. When I ran, I said I was going to take on Sheldon Silver and the career politicians in Albany. However, I was unaware of the incredible studies some of those fellas have proposed. I mean, do you realize, whenever a tough problem arises, all one has to do is call for a study and the problem solves itself?
Five Questions with Mickey Kearns - Politics Now - The Buffalo News.

No comments:

Post a Comment