Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Kent Hull 1960-2011






Bills Center Kent Hull passed away todayat the age of 51 from an apparent heart attack. Hull was one of the most respected players on the Super Bowl teams of the 90's. I'll never forget the Southern drawl he spoke with. Football insiders called him the brains and the leader of one of the best offenses in NFL history.

He was born in Mississippi and came to Buffalo via the USFL. He was always so unassuming. I just looked at his Wikipedia page and it simply says he was the Bills Center during all four of their Super Bowl appearances and started in 121 straight games. Hull's on the Bills' Wall of Fame, yet there are only two small paragraphs on him.

I know Hull was a Center and Reuben Brown was a Guard. However, Brown couldn't tie Hull's shoes on his best day. Hull wasn't underrated, though. Most fans knew his value to the team. He was truly a great one and will be missed. I found this blog from Mississippi with a terrific interview of Hull last year. Here, he talks about quitting high school football in his junior year and his subsequent rise to Mississippi State...


KH: Yeah, I played quarterback in the ninth grade, but my feet got too big. And I got too slow. So they moved me to tight end the next year. I didn’t get to play much, so I quit. They talked me into coming back my senior year and they moved me to center. They called me Ichabod Crane because I was 6-6 and weighed 195. State signed me. The second game at State, somebody gets hurt and the next thing I know they are calling me. I’m over there on the bench with a dip of Copenhagen in my mouth and I said “you’ve got to be kidding me.”

Share|

No comments:

Post a Comment