Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Random thoughts from the ghetto-Volume 50




I look out my window and see the empty 40 oz beer bottles, hypodermic needles, crack pipes and abandoned shopping carts on my front lawn and begin to think. The end results have become known as my random thoughts from the ghetto...

-I thought this was a funny story from today's Buffalo News. It was Kent Hull recounting how he found out he had just been drafted by a USFL team:

So it seemed fitting Hull was playing a pickup basketball game in 1983 when New Jersey Generals coach Chuck Fairbanks called him at Mississippi State and told him he had been drafted in the seventh round. Hull didn't know Chuck Fairbanks from chuck roast.

"Drafted?" Hull said. "For what?"

"Football," Fairbanks said.

"Really?" Hull said. "I'm a better basketball player."
Four Super Bowl runs later...

-Is there anything more scary than when you go to take a step on a dark staircase and you miscalculated and the stair isn't there? It's the scariest 1.5 seconds of your life. It's like that dream you have where your falling until you wake up.

-Sometimes in a running race, you might see someone competing in a wheelchair. The crowd, of course,claps as they role down the route using their arms. I wonder what people would say if an able bodied person decided to compete against them using their own wheelchair? They could pull up to the crowd, stand up, and walk over to them after the race, as if some sort of miracle had taken place.

-The protest against corporate greed and economic inequality on Wall Street is really gaining steam. I hear Nike is considering becoming a major sponsor. (I made that one up myself)

-Is anyone else old enough to remember the contestant in the military outfit who won for what seemed like two straight years on the game show Tic Tac Doe?

-I always try to tell it like it is. The people who run the concerts over at Cazenovia Park in the Fall (Ray McGurn and Goin' South) are terrific promoters. They put on an excellent show and attract a wide variety of spectators. While I don't always agree with them politically, I do admire their ability to put together a quality event.

-It's always funny to me when a white person has a traditionally black first name or a black person has a white name. Take Buffalo Bill Brad Smith. What name could be more white than Brad?



Share|

No comments:

Post a Comment