Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Tyro league upholds ban on girls



The coaches of the Tyro Football League voted 10-4 to uphold the rule banning girls from playing in their league. Now, the 9 year old girl's father, who has frustrated corrections guard written all over him, is speaking to discrimination lawyers.

Do I think his 9 year old girl should be able to play against 9 year old boys? Sure. I'm sure she can more than hold her own. My problem comes with the people commenting that all girls should be able to play in any boys league at any age. Maybe 300 years from now, but not in 2011.

After age 11 or 12, kids' bodies change. A 13 or 14 year old girl would get leveled by the average 13 or 14 year old boy on a football field. This isn't golf or tennis we are talking about. I like to watch girls compete in sports as much as anyone else. We have some very skilled girls on our travel soccer teams in South Buffalo. However, common sense has to come into play at some point and supersede political correctness.

Remember when they had celebrity boxing a few years back? WWE bodybuilder/wrestler Chyna fought Joey Buttafuoco, an out of shape slug known because of the Amy Fisher story. Buttafuoco threw Chyna around the ring like a rag doll. It wasn't even a contest. Chyna was a trained athlete and Buttafuoco, a fat slob. Their only difference was gender, and the physical differences that accompany it...






4 comments:

  1. Good for him! I'm glad her father isn't dropping this. It's got to make his daughter feel loved and appreciated. And, it IS discrimination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say it is unfortunate in this case. I'd like for her to be able to play. She can obviously do it. But,does a private league have a right to make their own rules?

    Years ago, boys sued so they could play on a girls field hockey team. They won and made a joke out of what had been a competitive league. The father might be within his rights to fight it. I just think he looks like a false tough guy/whiner. I could be wrong. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. asked my nine year old son- would you be able to tackle a nine year old girl? answer - " no Mom that would not be right " and that is the answer I wanted to hear - however the girl would not hesitate to tackle him and probably could. For this reason - I do not agree she should be able to play. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I respect your opinion. And your son's honesty. That's a different perspective I didn't even think about. Very good points.

    ReplyDelete