Sunday, September 11, 2011

Amazing Spiderman tribute to the heroes of 9/11



Someone in the Youtube community put together this video regarding the Spiderman comics 9/11 tribute issue (#36). I posted this a few years back, but I thought it was worth posting again. The words and images put together by the people at Marvel Comics are extremely powerful and I encourage you to check it out. The artwork is incredible.

I never read comic books as a kid. However, it was funny reading the comments underneath this video as comic book enthusiasts passionately debate the significance of certain parts of the tribute issue. One scene in the issue shows Spiderman's three arch enemies devastated by the events of 9/11. The evil character Doom is seen crying, which apparently was shocking to some of these nerd types. In that scene, the writer says:
Even the ones we would never expect
Because even the worst of us
Are still human
And still cry for the innocent
Even the ones we call ordinary
Are made extraordinary in their courage
And their sacrifice...



And I'll tell you what. Despite 3,000 casualties, I think the hijackers failed miserably in their efforts to destroy the morale of this country. For all of it's shortcomings, I think people realized how lucky they were to live in a country where they could be free. The one image I'll always remember from that tragic day is not the planes hitting the towers, or anything else. It's the picture below, which says it all...










No comments:

Post a Comment