Saturday, April 30, 2011

Durant Park update

Here's a story I ran two summers ago on a press conference called by Councilmembers Kearns and Fontana, regarding changes they promised to make over at Durant Park...



Thank you to everyone for showing up to Durant Park today. Councilmembers Mike Kearns and Rich Fontana called a news conference regarding the state of secondary parks like Durant and Hillery. They plan on installing cameras in Durant Park to prevent future vandalism . We had between 50-75 people show up on two hours notice on a workday. The kids all showed up with soccer balls and started practicing on their own. It was great to see. Neighbors came out and thanked us for taking back the park. The youth soccer players love their game and take great pride in representing the south side of Buffalo.

**We have an important update. Wait. No we don't. Despite a lot of talk that day, there hasn't been one single improvement made over at the park. Two years later. No cameras. Nothing.

After a column I wrote last week, some people asked me for examples of times their councilmembers didn't follow through on things. This was an easy one. Half the time, when they're making promises, I don't even think they are listening to what they are saying. I guess that's why I wouldn't make a good politician. If I promised to do something, I'd at least write it down and make an effort to do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment