Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Higgins vs Kearns over youth sports complex



Politics will always be politics. I don't worship any politician. I've been friends with Mickey Kearns since we went to grammer school together and I think he is trying his best. That doesn't mean I always agree with him. Right before the mayoral election, he announced he would keep the Comerford Commissioners around if he won. I found this to be a slap in the face to those of us who hadn't sold out our neighborhood (like they famously had.) I found this to be a desperate attempt by Kearns to pick up the 5 or 6 votes these bohunks brought to the table.


Having said that, I do admire Kearns for running, and I do support the sports complex he is trying to build on South Park Avenue by Sorrento Cheese. On this, I am not alone. From what I have heard, Superintendent Williams is behind it. As is Senator for life Bill Stachowski. Even Mayor Steve Casey is rumored to like the idea. I'm told he'd like to use this project as a model in hopes of building similar complexes throughout the city. Why shouldn't South Buffalo have this for it's children? There are community centers on every other block on the West side. The East side has numerous centers as well as the Johnny Wiley Sports Complex.


Here's where things get interesting. A good source tells me Congressman Brian Higgins

has asked the mayor not to support Kearns' sports complex. I have not received this information from Mickey but from someone close to him. The sad part is Higgins' reasoning. He knows this is Kearns' project and it will make Kearns look good (like his own work on the Waterfront made Higgins look good). I have great respect for Brian Higgins as a politician. However, I find this latest development to be rather bizarre. Several people have lined up behind Kearns' project. Not supporting it is one thing. But telling others not to support it out of spite is juvenile and bordering on paranoiac. Higgins needs to work for all of South Buffalo and not just the ethically challenged friends of his (who put a price on their integrity years ago). He should support Kearns' complex and encourage the mayor to do so as well, simply because it's the right thing to do for the neighborhood. People are going to question Higgins' motives should he not support it, and he's going to look pretty silly if Kearns gets the project done without his help. But what do I know? I'm just an unassuming blogger from the
ghetto.

No comments:

Post a Comment