Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Letter to the editor- predicting the weather



"We all grumble about the weather, but" (dramatic pause) "--but--but nothing is done about it."
Mark Twain

I had to laugh when I saw this letter in yesterday's Buffalo News. The writer reminded everyone of an article containing a local meteorology "expert's" forecast for this past winter...

Now that our unusually mild winter is over, I wish to point out a front-page article from the Oct. 10, 2011, News titled “Forecasters throw cold blanket on sunshine.” The article featured a meteorologist who confidently predicted a cold, harsh winter with at least 110 to 120 inches of snow for the Buffalo area. He said, “There’s no doubt about it. This is not going to be a gentle winter.”

Robert A. Krohn
Amherst


Here is an excerpt from the article he is referring to...

Meteorologists at Accuweather are predicting higher than average snow totals and colder than average temperatures for Western New York this winter.

"Get ready," said Jack Boston, an expert in long-range weather forecasting at Accuweather.com. "There's no doubt about it: This is not going to be a gentle winter."

Buffalo should be prepared for the possibility of snow totals of at least 110 inches and perhaps 120 inches or more this season, Boston said.

"I'm really concerned that it's going to be over 120," he said.

They should consider changing their name to Inaccuweather.

Long-range forecasts prove to be unreliable

Forecasters throw cold blanket on sunshine


The color of the sky as far as I can see is coal grey.
Lift my head from the pillow and then fall again.
With a shiver in my bones just thinking about the weather.
A quiver in my lips as if I might cry...


Share|

No comments:

Post a Comment