Saturday, December 31, 2011

New year, new hope



Nice store today in the Buffalo News from Dan Herbeck about Clarence Rounds. Rounds is the homeless veteran who had been living in an underground bunker a few years ago. Several readers donated money to him in an effort to get him back on his feet...

a generous reader stepped up to pay a $590 security deposit that Rounds needed to move into an apartment that will be paid for under a U. S. Veterans Affairs program to assist homeless veterans.

Another reader gave Rounds $590 to buy furniture and household items. Six different News readers contacted either Rounds or the newspaper, offering to pay the security deposit.

Those readers could have given that money to family members, or invested it. It's great they tried to help someone they probably never even met before. As tough as Rounds has had it, he seems to appreciate the help he has received over the years to beat his alcohol addiction...

Rounds said he wants people to know that, although he has experienced violence and cruelty, he has met far more people who went out of their way to help him.

“I’ve met people who gave me food, let me take showers in their homes, helped me with my paperwork for social services . . . and gave me odd jobs,” Rounds said. “I’ve had a lot of churches help me, too. I met more good people than bad.”

Hopefully, this will be the start of something good for Rounds. Most of us are fortunate enough to not have addictive personalities. Drugs, gambling, and alcohol can be serious vices for people like this. I hope everyone has a great New Year. I really appreciate all the feedback I've received from readers during the last year, even those people who wish me bodily harm.

With help, Rounds is homeless no longer

We've all seen the man at the liquor store beggin' for your change.
The hair on his face is dirty, dreadlocked and full of mange.
He asked the man for what he could spare with shame in his eyes.
Get a job you fuckin' slob is all he replied.

God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes.
'Cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues.
Then you really might know what it's like.



Share|

No comments:

Post a Comment