Monday, November 23, 2009

Random Thoughts From the Ghetto-Volume 14



I look out my window and see the empty 40 oz beer bottles, hypodermic needles, crack pipes and abandoned shopping carts left on my front lawn. I begin to think. The end results have become known as my random thoughts from the ghetto...

These random thoughts taste great and are less filling:

-I always find it funny when someone shows up drunk to a place where drunk people shouldn't be. Showing up at church or their place of employment are the obvious ones. I saw a case this week where a mail carrier passed out drunk inside the kitchen at one of her stops. The person living there was 85 years old and didn't recognize her, even though she was in full uniform. She ended up calling the police because she thought it was an intruder. How do you explain yourself out of that one?

-There should be a law that Christmas music cannot be played on the radio until four days before Christmas each year. Let me celebrate Thanksgiving first. Most of those songs are so depressing, too. Just listen to a few of them. I listened to Christmas songs on the way back from North Carolina last Christmas and thought about driving off of a cliff. I've already heard Bruce Springsteen's Santa Claus is Coming to Town 13 times this year and it's not even December yet.

-Despite being banned from it a few years ago, I still read the Metro Community News Steam column each week. I saw recently that someone was upset that Thomas McCarthy was getting an award from Bishop Timon. I guess another person started the whole controversy by complimenting him for cleaning St Teresa's church. My guess is the critic just wanted credit because she did clean the church. Maybe she does deserve credit for this. Who knows?
All I know is that Mr. McCarthy is a very nice guy. He has not forgotten the Seneca St. neighborhood. He sponsored his grandson's team at Tosh Collins a few years ago and I had a nice conversation with him and his family. Marty Nightengale was also very good about supporting the neighborhood. Joe Quinn, on the other hand. He told me no thanks, despite every member of my family being waked there. I'll tell you this. When I meet my demise, they better not try and have my wake at Quinn's. If they do, I'll get up from out of the casket and walk over to either McCarthy's or Nightengale's. If I do decide on McCarthy's, I'll probably stop at Tim Horton's next door and grab a donut first.

-The Tosh Collins soccer league started last week. I never get tired of this league. The kids are so excited to be learning the game. It brings me back to when I played there 65 years ago. One of my favorite things back then were the neighborhood rivalries. With many of the catholic schools closing, we may have lost some of that. However, the 3rd and 4th graders at my current school are so excited to be playing in the league. We played on Monday night. From Tuesday until Friday, that was all they talked about at school. I know many soccer parents read this. Thank you for helping us continue this great tradition.

-Has anyone else ever looked over at another driver and seen someone wearing a clown suit? This has happened to me a few times. It always cracks me up. One time, I noticed the car next to me had four clowns in it and one of them was smoking a cigarette. I was laughing so loud. It was the closest I ever came to a one car traffic accident.

-Whoever invented exploding dye packs was a genius. Can you imagine robbing a bank and having red paint explode all over your face and body? Hilarious. That's the ultimate April fools prank.


-I'm hearing reports that the young Hillary lad is the latest connected South Buffalonian to get hired in the Buffalo Schools over yours truly. He played soccer for me when he was 7 years old. I guess a master's degree in Education and 19 years of volunteer experience are overrated. I'll tell you this. If it's true, Lou Petrucci will have some competition this upcoming May in the school board election. I honestly was not interested in running for the seat, however, this latest incident is just another slap in the face and I might not have any other choice. Suburban resident James Kane likes to lie. He recommends everyone from South Buffalo that gets hired. I invite this former South Buffalo resident to come back to the city and move next to the Buffalo Public School students that pay his exorbitant salary. This new job, if my sources are correct, had to get approved by the board. It's not what you know, it's who you know. It's ok. I know as this blog continues to generate more readers that these guys won't want to become the lead story. Well, they might want to consider getting used to it, or better yet, stop lying so much.
I hope, for their sake, they've packed a lunch...

-That's all I got this week. Thank you to all my readers. This blog is now getting 70 hits per day with no advertising. If you see an interesting article on here that you think someone else might appreciate, it's very easy to email the article or post it on Facebook or Twitter. This would help me to generate more readers. Let's hope the world doesn't end in 2012 like some are predicting. If we're lucky, maybe we'll live to the year 2525. Go forth and sin no more...

No comments:

Post a Comment