Friday, November 11, 2011

Wack pack's NFL picks: week ten

It's hard to believe week ten is already upon us. It seems like yesterday we were only in the second week of the pre-season. I think the loss of Kyle Williams is going to hurt the Bills' chances. New York looked very good last week. Rex Ryan is a circus clown, but his teams seem to come ready to play...

Buddy "the Book" from Amherst


Buddy the Book and myself both thought the Bills should have run more screens to Fred Jackson, but what do we know?

Buddy was excited to watch his alma mater, Bishop Timon, compete at the stadium yesterday. He was even seen throwing the football around in the parking lot before the game. His excitement turned to disgust as the Tigers lost to a tough St. Francis' team. He was seen throwing his clipboard and exiting the stadium in the 3rd quarter. This week, he likes Buffalo, Pittsburgh, NY Giants, Carolina, and the hapless Colts. One thing I hate is when fans start cheering for their team to lose (so they can get better draft picks). I remember going to a Bills' game against Dallas when they were 1-12 and watching them upset the Cowboys. To me, if you're a true fan, you always want your team to play to win.
last week: 2-3-0
overall record:

The Rooster (with help from MacGavis)...

The City Hall Rooster says the Lady of Seneca Street story this past week brought back some great memories for him. He said Sister Anne Clare would walk her students down from St. Pat's to see the shrine and would always have her ruler hidden somewhere on her person. For proof, he says to check out Ray's hands as they are probably still scarred. Although, HE says that could be from crawling home from Molly's. (Hey, I'm not here to judge anyone. We've all had some tough nights we'd like to forget.) I've driven past the shrine many times and never really knew it's meaning. I'm not very religious, but I have to admit, it is a peaceful reminder that does stick out. In the same way, I like the wooden Red Jacket on Seneca and Cazenovia Streets (which some idiot vandalized recently).

The Rooster says some people are saying they only pick the easy games. If there's one thing I've learned, there is no such thing as an easy pick in the NFL. This week, they are going with some tougher ones. They like the Jets (-1.5) over the Patriots. I like this pick as the Jets looked very good last week. The running back looked tough to bring down. The Rooster likes the Bears (-2.5) over the Lions. (I don't know about this one. The Bears might be coming down after an unexpected victory over the Eagles Monday night.) He also likes the Giants (+3.5) over the 49ers (solid pick) and Hotlanta (even) over New Orleans. For his final pick, the Lord of city hall deferred to "Forrest Avenue" Indy to go with the hapless Colts over the Jaguars. Finally, he says the oddsmakers are giving Dallas too many points. He warns to stay away from the Bills' game like "we stay away from MacGavis when his shoes are off".

On a side note, I wish they would do something about instant replay. Coaches are challenging five yard passes in the 2nd quarter. Now, instead of debating the initial calls, fans are debating the interpretation of the replays. I just feel they take away from the flow of the game. It was more exciting in years past, when the refs would make the tough calls on the spot. Isn't that why we have refs in the first place? There's an old adage that good teams can overcome bad calls.

It reminds me of an old quote Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart had when debating obscenity. He said, "don't ask me to define it, but I know it when I see it." I think longtime football fans can say the same thing about fumbles and catches. Watching the play live is usually the best indicator of whether someone catches a pass or fumbles. I feel instant replay is taking away from the spontaneity and excitement of the game by over-analyzing every play. It's football, for Christ's sake. A game.

Stay tuned for next week when I explain why every game should be played outside on natural grass.

Share|

No comments:

Post a Comment