Monday, January 21, 2013

Waiting for the facts to come in


 
Not blaming the victim by any means, but I hope all the facts are examined carefully in regards to the Mineral Springs roller hockey owner. I've read many comments online to the affect that due process goes out the window in crimes like this, and I have to disagree.

I don't know Randy Kosinski or his accuser. However, I've been around youth sports for a long time and have seen similar situations and heard similar allegations. In one case, the allegations were true and the person was convicted and sent to jail. In others, once examined, there were no substance to the charges. To me, there's a big difference between sending racy texts and committing rape. Many people say Kosinski liked to tell off color jokes, but scoff at the notion of him chasing underage boys. People who played there for years are shocked at the allegations. Others say they are not surprised and describe Kosinski as being "creepy." The last time I checked, looking creepy was not a crime. It may be proven otherwise, but until then, I think it's important to hear Kosinski's side of the story as well as the victim's. 

I'm not saying he's innocent. I can't see the Cheektowaga Police arresting him unless they thought they had a case. And there very well might be others coming forward. However, he is innocent until proven guilty. Sometimes an open and shut case is anything but. I remember all the pre-school cases from the 1980's, specifically the McMartin Preschool Case. One man spent five years in prison and everyone a the daycare center had their careers ruined. Years later, it was proven that none of what was alleged actually took place. 
 http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/mcmartin/mcmartinaccount.html

It will be interesting to see what comes out of this case.

No comments:

Post a Comment