Thursday, January 27, 2011

R.I.P. Nick's


It's not too often I can say I am genuinely shocked but today was one of those days. I was driving up South Park Avenue past Nick's, only it wasn't there. I thought I must have entered the Twilight Zone. Nick's had been there for as long as I could remember. A new owner has taken over and it is now Chuckie's Texas Hots. It's hard for me to even imagine it being anything but Nick's. Nick's is where I had my first order of french fries with slime sauce. It looks like the whole inside has been remodeled (probably the first time since 1975.)

Just like that, it was gone.The end of a very long era. I can only imagine how many drunks have been asked to leave over the years and how much puke has been removed from it's floors. The drive thru intercom never worked, since they added it a few years ago. It was a great place to have breakfast at 2AM after a night out. No matter how good the new place is, there can never be another Nick's.


1 comment:

  1. Wow. I am floored. But no surprise, I stopped in on a recent visit to the homeland and had to leave as the service was so bad.

    FYI, I think the last renovation was sometime in the mid eighties, prior to that they still had the individual jukeboxes in the booths. Classic. RIP Nick's. Thanks Mike. Sad.

    ReplyDelete